Point Frederick has been a military base for over two hundred years. Four maps are shown, dated 1789, 1830, 1870 and 1998, respectively, to illustrate how the site has evolved over the years.
Point Frederick (1789 - 1998)
The 1789 map is an early survey. It indicates that the southern tip of the peninsula is reserved for defensive works, that the east side of the peninsula, alongside Haldimand Cove (later renamed Navy Bay) is reserved for a dockyard and that the northern end of the peninsula is reserved for housing. No buildings are shown.
The 1830 map illustrates the post-War of 1812 situation on Point Frederick. The original Fort Frederick occupies the southern tip of the peninsula while several dockyard buildings, two large wharves and launching slips are clustered on the east side, alongside Navy Bay
The 1870 map illustrates the existing buildings on Point Frederick in the year that responsibility for this military base was turned over to the Canadian government. Most of the wooden, War of 1812 era, buildings are gone and the main buildings shown on the map are permanent, stone structures built in the period 1820-1850. The rebuilt Fort Frederick, with its Martello Tower, occupies the southern tip of the peninsula; the warehouse, known as the Stone Frigate, stands alongside Navy Bay and a stone fence is shown enclosing the dockyard area.
The 1998 map illustrates the RMC grounds as a campus of a modern university. The basic road layout shown in the 1870 map remains but the grounds have now been filled with dormitories, academic and administrative buildings.
The 2012 map illustrates the RMC grounds as a campus of a modern university. The basic road layout shown in the 1870 map remains but the grounds have now been filled with dormitories, academic and administrative buildings.
|Applied Military Science (AMS)||12 Navy Way|
|Birchall Pavillion||3 Billy Bishop Road|
|Cavalry House||2 Vérité Avenue|
|Constantine Arena||7 Navy Way|
|Currie Hall||15 Valour Drive|
|Fort Brant Dormitory||5 Valour Drive|
|Fort Champlain Dormitory||2 Point Frederick Drive|
|Fort Frederick Museum||4 Passchendale Drive|
|Fort Haldimand Dormitory||24 Amiens Avenue|
|Fort LaSalle Dormitory||20 Amiens Avenue|
|Fort Sauvé Dormitory||1 Point Frederic Drive|
|Girouard Building||3, 5, 7 General Crerar Crescent|
|Hewett House||3 Hewett Avenue|
|HMCS Cataraqui||24 Navy Way|
|HMCS Ontario||10 General Crerar Crescent|
|Kingston Military Community Sport Centre||11 Duty Drive|
|Lunette||2 Passchendale Drive|
|Mackenzie Building||17 Valour Drive|
|Maintenance Services||20 General Crerar Crescent|
|Massey Library||7 Valour Drive|
|Memorial Arch||Highway 2|
|Old Hospital||19 Valour Drive|
|Panet House||15 Point Frederick Drive|
|Ridout Square (previously Ridout Row)||Ridout Square|
|Sawyer Building||11, 13, 15, 17, 19 General Crerar Crescent|
|Senior Staff Mess||9 Point Frederick Drive|
|Stone Frigate Dormitory||19 Point Frederick Drive|
|Temporary Academic Facility||8 Precision Drive|
|Yeo Hall||22 Amiens Avenue|