Royal Military College of Canada and the Canadian Forces College
215 Yonge Blvd.
M5M 3H9 Canada
Arms control, conflict prevention, human security, peace operations, United Nations
Walter Dorn is a Professor at the Canadian Forces College and Chair of the Master of Defence Studies programme at RMC. He was cross-appointed as an Adjunct Associate Professor with the Department of Politics and Economics at RMC, and a faculty member of the Pearson Peacekeeping Centre. He is a scientist by training (Ph.D. Chemistry, Univ. of Toronto), whose doctoral research was aimed at chemical sensing for arms control. He assisted with the negotiation, ratification and implementation of the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC). As CWC programme coordinator at Parliamentarians for Global Action (1992-93), he addressed parliamentary committees in nations on several continents to support the ratification and implementation of the treaty. His interests are now broader, covering both international and human security, especially peacekeeping and the United Nations.
He has extensive experience in field missions. In 1999, he was a district electoral officer with the United Nations Mission in East Timor. He also served with the UN in Ethiopia (UNDP project) and at UN headquarters as a Training Adviser with UN's Department of Peacekeeping Operations. He carried out research in conflict areas in Central and South America, Africa and South East Asia. He served on the UN’s Panel of Experts on Technology and Innovation in UN Peacekeeping.
Since 1983, he has served as the UN Representative of Science for Peace, a Canadian NGO, and addressed the UN General Assembly in 1988 at the Second UN Special Session on Disarmament. In the United States, he was a Senior Research Fellow at Cornell University (Einaudi Centre for International Studies, 1998-2000), a consultant to Yale University (United Nations Studies, 1996), a visiting scholar at the Cooperative Monitoring Centre (Sandia National Laboratories, NM, 1999) and adviser to the Federation of American Scientist (Biological Weapons Control expert group, 1990).
At the University of Toronto, he was a Research Fellow with the International Relations Programme as well as the Peace and Conflict Studies Programme, and the Physical Science Don at Trinity College.
In 2001/02 he was the inaugural DFAIT Human Security Fellow (academic). He is now working on a book tentatively titled "The Emerging Global Watch: UN Monitoring for International Peace and Human Security".
Publications available here:
Some of the following documents are available for downloading or viewing in PDF:
See Walter Dorn's web site for his latest publications.
- Air Power in UN Operations: Wings for Peace (Ashgate, 2014)
- Keeping Watch: Monitoring, Technology and Innovation in UN Peace Operations — Contents, full pdf
- "World Order for a New Millennium: Political, Cultural and Spiritual Approaches to Building Peace."
An edited volume published by St. Marin's Press and Macmillan press, available at Amazon.
- Give Peacekeeping a Chance in Afghanistan - Give Peacekeeping a Chance in Afghanistan (PDF version 383Kb)
- Intelligence-led Peacekeeping: The United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti - Intelligence-led Peacekeeping: The United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (PDF version 627Kb)
- What the Thunder Said: Reflections of a Canadian Officer in Kandahar (book review)
- Unsung Mediator: U Thant and the Cuban Missile Crisis (PDF version 549Kb)
- Canada's Honourable Role as a Peacekeeping Nation
- Fatally Flawed: The Rise and Demise of the "Three-block War" Concept in Canada (PDF version 115.04Kb)
- Chemical Weapons Convention: An Overview
- Chemical Weapons Convention: The Compliance Provisions
- Chemical Weapons Convention: Testimony to the Foreign Affairs Committee
- Compliance Mechanisms for Disarmament Treaties - Compliance Mechanisms for Disarmament Treaties (PDF version 558Kb)
- N.Korea/NPT Compliance: Carrots, Sticks and Bombs - N.Korea/NPT Compliance: Carrots, Sticks and Bombs (PDF version 1.5Mb)
- PAXSAT: A Canadian Initiative in Arms Control
- Peacekeeping Satellites: The Case for International Surveillance
- Satellite and Airborne Surveillance For Arms Control: Workshop Report
- Small Arms, Human Security and Development - Small Arms, Human Security and Development (PDF version 169Kb)
- UN Should Verify Treaties
- UN Verification: Case for a UN Verification Agency
- Verification Agency in/out of the UN?
Conflict Defense and Security
- Afghanistan and UN Peacekeeping - Testimony to the Foreign Affairs Committee (html) - Afghanistan and UN Peacekeeping - Testimony to the Foreign Affairs Committee (PDF version 128Kb)
- Early Warning of Armed Conflict: An Introduction
- Human Security: A Subject Overview
- Indicators and Indices of Conflict and Security (PDF version 544Kb)
- The Future of Warfare
- Blue Sensors: Technology for UN Peacekeeping
- Canadian Peacekeeping: No Myth But Not What It Once Was (PDF version 604Kb)
- Canada pulls out of peacekeeping
- Canadian Peacekeeping: Proud Tradition, Strong Future?
- Intelligence and Peacekeeping: The UN Operation in the Congo 1960-64
- Intelligence and the Operation in Eastern Zaire 1996
- Intelligence-Gathering in UN Peacekeeping: The Limits
- Militias in East Timor: Personal Encounters
- Preventing the Bloodbath:Could the UN have Predicted & Prevented the Rwanda Genocide?
- Regional Peacekeeping Is Not the Way
- Security Sector Reform in Bosnia (PDF version 389.68Kb)
- Tools of the Trade? Monitoring and Surveillance Technologies for UN Peacekeeping (PDF version 512.5Kb)
- Web links on peacekeeping
- Who is Dying for Peace?
- An Ounce of Prevention: UN Early Warning System Needed
- Early Warning by the UN Secretary-General
- Keeping Tabs on a Troubled World: UN Information-Gathering to Preserve Peace - Keeping Tabs on a Troubled World: UN Information-Gathering to Preserve Peace (PDF version 1.78Mb)
- Keeping Watch for Peace: Fact-Finding by the UN Secretary-General
- The Cuban Missile Crisis Resolved: U Thant
- U Thant: Buddhism in Action (PDF version 233Kb)
- UN Charter and League Covenant Comparison (PDF version 158Kb)
- UN Early Warning: A Review and Recommendations
- UN Headquarters Intelligence: The I&R Unit
- UN Information-Gathering for Peace and Security
- UN in the Twenty-first Century: A Vision
- Light and Liberty: Reflections on the Pursuit of Happiness, by Thomas Jefferson
- Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda, by Lieutenant-General Roméo Dallaire
- UN Peacekeeping in Africa
- What the Thunder Said: Reflections of a Canadian Officer in Kandahar
For more information on accessing these files, please visit our help page.