- Director, RMC Green Team
- Research Director, GeoEngineering Centre at Queen's-RMC,
- Research Director, Civil Engineering Department, RMC, Kingston, Ontario
- Cross-Appointed Professor, Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering Department, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
Dr. Vlachopoulos (BASc, MASc, rmc, PhD Queen's University) is an Associate Professor of Civil Engineering at the Royal Military College of Canada. He is also cross-appointed to the Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering Department at Queen's University.
He is the Founder and Director of the RMC Green Team that addresses Environmental Engineering issues within Canadian Forces Bases and Wings. For his innovative solutions to environmental issues, he was awarded the DND Deputy Minister's / Chief of Defense Staff Innovation Award.
His research interests include topics in Geotechnical, Geomechanical and Environmental Engineering. He uses physical testing and/or field scale observation combined with analytical techniques in order to improve the state of the art.
Geotechnical / Geomechanical Engineering
- Underground Excavation Stability and Support Design for Weak Rock Tunnelling
- Numerical Analysis / Modelling of Environmental and Geotechnical Problems (improvements to modelling techniques)
- Near-face response of tunnels in weak, tectonized rockmasses
- Physical Testing of Tunnel Support
- Integration of Geomechanics and Geomatics
- Hazard Assessment and Risk Management in Geotechnical Works
- Use of geosynthetics (polymers and composite materials) in geotechnical structures
Environmental Engineering (RMC Green Team)
- Green Building / Sustainable Development Technologies
- Complex Remediation Techniques associated with Soil and Water
- Optimization of Water and Sewage Treatment Plants
- Environmental Impact Assessments of Engineering Projects
The Geotechnical Group at RMC as well as the Geomechanics Group at Queen's University is part of the GeoEngineering Centre at Queen's-RMC with students and researchers from Engineering Programs at both Queen's and RMC working with Dr. Vlachopoulos. Students have the option of registering in MSc or PhD programs at Queen's or RMC.
In addition to his Professional Engineering License in Ontario, he also holds a Professional Engineering License in the European Union.